IDEA ALLEY: Five holiday-ready recipes for Alley Kats – Arkansas Online
Recipes that appear in Idea Alley have not been tested by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
These five recipes — two appetizers and three desserts — offer nostalgic comfort and holiday cheer as we enter the home stretch of the December holidaze.
“I take this to parties frequently and it’s always gone in a hurry,” writes Beth Page.
Cracked Pepper Summer Sausage
- Summer sausage (Page recommends Hillshire Farms brand)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Cracked black pepper
- Ritz crackers, optional, for serving
Remove casing from sausage.
In a large zip-close plastic bag, combine sausage and Worcestershire sauce. Marinate overnight. Roll sausage in honey and black pepper. Bake at 275 degrees for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
Serve with crackers, if desired.
■ ■ ■
This recipe is from Sherrie Smith.
Strawberry Preserves Cheese Ring
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground red (cayenne) pepper
- 1 cup or more strawberry preserves (jelly will not work)
In a large bowl, combine cheese, mayonnaise, onion, garlic powder and cayenne. Mold mixture into a ring. Place strawberry preserves in the center. Chill for several hours before serving.
■ ■ ■
“My mom, Ruth, always made this for our family holiday meals,” writes Beverly Brooks.
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) container Cool Whip OR 1 cup whipped cream
- Up to 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk, as needed
- 2 to 3 bananas, sliced
- 1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust
- 1 (21-ounce) can blueberry OR cherry pie filling (no sugar pie filling is OK if a low-sugar pie is desired)
With the mixer on low speed or by hand, combine cream cheese, Cool Whip and confectioners’ sugar (if using), being careful not to over-whip. If mixture is too thick, add whole milk 1 tablespoon at a time. It should be a little thicker than cake icing.
Place sliced bananas in the bottom of a prepared graham cracker pie crust. Spread cream cheese mixture over bananas. Smooth mixture so that there is a shallow well in the center, leaving about 1 inch of raised mixture on the outside edges. The well should be ¾ …….